(Part time position)
The Interagency Coalition on AIDS and Development (ICAD) is seeking a dynamic and experienced Finance Officer to join a small team with headquarters in Ottawa, Ontario. The Finance Officer is responsible for maintaining financial, accounting, and some administrative and personnel services in accordance with Canadian accounting standards for the not-for-profit, charitable sector. ICAD operates in a virtual office environment and the incumbent will be required to work from their home.
ICAD is a coalition of approximately 100 AIDS service organizations (ASOs), NGOs, international development organizations, trade unions, faith-based organizations and individuals involved in HIV and AIDS and international development. ICAD provides leadership in the response of Canadian international development organizations and Canadian HIV organizations in reducing the impact of the global HIV and AIDS epidemic. ICAD does this through improving public policy, providing information and analysis, and sharing lessons learned.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Finance Officer is responsible for financial and administrative oversight of the organization, including: preparing financial statements, maintaining cash controls, managing staff payroll and benefits, support in the preparation of budgets and financial reports, managing annual audits, and providing advice and support to the Executive Director and Board on fiduciary matters.
Specific duties include the following:
- Manage ICAD financial systems including processing cheques and other payments, preparing monthly bank reconciliations, preparing and update chart of account coding and review and verify all expense claims;
- Collaborate with senior program officers in the preparation and verification of all project budgets;
- Ensure that accounting and financial systems and files are in place and maintained and bills are paid in a timely fashion;
- Ensure ICAD complies with all mandated financial reporting requirements including reporting to Revenue Canada and filing for GST/HST;
- Manage the Annual Audit process including: preparing working papers, closing ICAD books for the financial audit, making entries etc.;
- Provide technical support and advice to ICAD Treasurer as required;
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial reports for all program activities and (government and international) funders;
- Assisting in the preparation of project budgets and proposals;
- Monitor cash flow requirements of the organization;
- Manage employee payroll and benefits;
- All other tasks related to the position.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in Canadian not-for-profit organization accounting
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Proficient knowledge in computerized accounting programs, fund accounting, preparation of financial statements and reports
- An understanding of relevant municipal, provincial and federal legislations, policies and procedures as it pertains to the financial management of a national charity organization
- Skill in analysis, synthesis and communication of financial information
- Skill and experience in developing and delivering financial reports
- Experience on preparing and managing budgets
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in person, on the telephone, and electronically
- Ability to work with minimum supervision as well as in a team setting
- Proficiency in both official languages is an asset
- Other related skills
Hours of Work:
- 2-3 days per week
- TBD based on experience and qualifications
Please send your resume, with a cover letter that explains how your qualifications and experience relate to this position by Wednesday, February 14, 2018 to: email@example.com. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interviews will be held beginning the week of February 19, 2018.