A comprehensive approach to HIV prevention balances structural changes (such as poverty reduction and gender equality), the expansion and strengthening of existing prevention strategies (such as behavioural interventions and the distribution of male and female condoms), and targeted investments in research of new prevention technologies (NPTs) (such as vaccines and microbicides).
Research into NPTs is a critical part of comprehensive HIV prevention. NPTs are needed for those who cannot use or rely on existing prevention methods such as condoms. In response to membership demand, ICAD is playing an increasing role in the area of HIV prevention, with a focus on NPTs.
ICAD maintains partnerships with the International Partnership for Microbicides (IPM) and the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI), and aims to raise awareness and understanding of NPT research among Canadians, and to promote a Canadian policy environment that is supportive of NPT research. ICAD is working to ensure that Canada plays a significant role in the global NPT research efforts, and that Canadians can benefit from any NPT that is found to be safe and effective.
Current ICAD projects
ICAD Evaluation of Prevention-Related Activities
In 2011, the Interagency Coalition on AIDS and Development (ICAD) commissioned San Patten and Associates, Inc. to conduct an evaluation of its work on HIV prevention in recent years. The purpose of the evaluation was to assess ICAD's contributions to HIV prevention, and to plan for its future involvement in the field. In addition, the evaluation provides ICAD with useful lessons that can be applied to other areas of focus within the organization. The full report is available in English only; a summary report is available in both English and French.
Building Community Engagement in vaccines in Africa and Canada
- Funder: Canadian HIV Vaccines Initiative (CHVI)
- Partners: New HIV Vaccines and Microbicides Advocacy Society (NHVMAS), Nigeria and Southern African AIDS Trust (SAT), Zimbabwe
- Duration: July 2009 – September 2011
- Goal: The goal of the project is to ensure that communities are meaningfully engaged in HIV vaccines efforts (and broader NPT efforts) in Canada, Nigeria and Southern Africa, and that media/journalists are better equipped to report accurately on HIV vaccine (and broader NPT) research and development efforts, including trial results.
- Major Activities:
- Develop an environmental scan of existing resources for community representatives and media/journalists produced in Canada and Africa on HIV vaccines and on other new prevention technologies (NPTs) (microbicides, PrEP, male circumcision, etc);
- Develop, disseminate and promote toolkits and training packages for Canadian, Nigerian and Southern African community representatives and media/journalists; and
- Deliver workshops in Canada, Nigeria and Southern Africa.
- Treatment as prevention: challenges and opportunities (by Global Health Council)
- Global HIV Prevention Working Group
- HIV Prevention Research: A Comprehensive Timeline (by AVAC)
- International Women’s Day: HIV Prevention Tools for Women Ever Closer
- Canadian Microbicides Action Plan
- Global Campaign for Microbicides (GCM)
- International Partnership for Microbicides (IPM)
- International Rectal Microbicides Advocates (IRMA) and Blog
- Microbicides Trials Network
- Canadian AIDS Vaccine Initiative (CHVI)
- Global HIV Vaccine Enterprise
- HIV Vaccine Trials Network
- International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI)
- IAVI Report
- South African AIDS Vaccine Initiative (SAAVI)
Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
Male and Female Condoms
- Centre for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE) - female condom
- Global Campaign for Microbicides - female condom
- Planned Parenthood - female condom Planned Parenthood - male condom