In 2007 and 2008, the Global Treatment Access Group (GTAG) reviewed and validated its commitment to the right to health, to equity and to a ‘do no harm’ approach to HIV advocacy. This paper builds on that initiative by providing a brief overview of current health system discourse and by exploring the debate and advocacy themes as they related to GTAG’s core advocacy on HIV.
- Combination Prevention(26)
- Community and Health Systems Strengthening(9)
- HIV and Co-infections(4)
- Key Populations and Vulnerable Groups(19)
- Public Policy and Global Engagement(11)
- Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH)(1)
- Social Determinants of Health(15)
Health and Community Systems Strengthening
The development of a safe and effective AIDS vaccine is the primary goal of AIDS vaccine research and, once achieved, will have a remarkable impact on reducing the spread of HIV. But there are other added benefits. Conducting AIDS vaccine research in developing countries also strengthens their health systems by reinforcing their research capacity and contributing to health system functioning more broadly. This fact sheet examines the impact of AIDS vaccine research on health systems strengthening in five key areas: the training and retention of human resources; infrastructure development; institutional development; improved health services; and enhanced HIV services.
The aim of this fact sheet is to examine some of the main issues related to the causes and effects of the exodus of healthcare professionals. The fact sheet also examines the approaches being considered to solve this problem and possible solutions for the management of international migration that would be less detrimental to healthcare systems in developing countries.
- New Resource: HIV, Nutrition, Food Security and Gender: Exploring the Intersections September 2, 2020 This fact-sheet presents an overview of the manifold intersections between nutrition, HIV and gender, with the aim of promoting an integrated programmatic and policy approach to addressing these global challenges,…
- Press Release: Over 200 organizations across Canada sign open letter for #HealthCare4All May 21, 2020 May 21st, 2020 – At a moment of public health crisis in Canada due to COVID-19, the Healthcare for All National Coalition is calling on the federal government to work…
- UNAIDS report lists CHABAC as a good practice for ending AIDS by 2030 February 20, 2019 The Canadian HIV/AIDS Black, African and Caribbean (CHABAC) Network has been listed as a good practice model to help mobilize African, Caribbean and Black communities (ACB) in other countries to…
- It's Valentine's Day: Show Canada's love for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria February 14, 2019 The Right Honourable Prime Minister Justin TrudeauOffice of the Prime Minister80 Wellington StreetOttawa, ON K1A 0A2CC:Honourable Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of International DevelopmentHonourable Minister Chrystia Freeland, Minister of Foreign AffairsHonourable…
- Katswe Sistahood September 17, 2020 Founded in 2007, Katswe Sistahood is a feminist organisation fighting for the full attainment of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) by women in Zimbabwe. Katswe is a platform…
- Canada’s hidden HIV epidemic December 7, 2018 By Laurie Edmiston, CATIEEarlier this year, I witnessed a profound historic moment at the International AIDS Conference in Amsterdam. Dr. Alison Rodger, a leading HIV researcher in the United Kingdom,…