Why does gender matter in the fight to end the TB epidemic?
How does TB affect women and maternal health?
Gender is a key priority for the Canadian government, how can Canada take a leadership role in the TB response?
What role does Canadian civil society have to play?
ICAD and RESULTS Canada invite you to join us for an
online discussion to learn more.
Thursday, May 10, 2018 1:00pm – 2:00pm ET
Gender and TB : Gender is an area often neglected by those seeking to end the TB epidemic. While men tend to disproportionately contract the disease, TB has a significant impact on women worldwide. TB … Read more →
Decades of neglect have allowed TB to become the world’s leading infectious killer. By Ms. Brenda Shanahan, MP, Mr. Dean Allison and Ms. Mobina Jaffer, Senator, on behalf of the Global Health Caucus on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, with support from RESULTS Canada. This post first appeared on ICAD’s blog page with Huffington Post Canada .
Irene is a young woman from Vancouver. Over the course of five days, exhaustion and headaches began to take over her previously normal work and daily life. Her doctor told her it was most likely a cold, and advised that she come back a week later if her symptoms persisted. When hallucinations and chills … Read more →
This blog first appeared on the Huffington Post Canada. By Shelley Garnham, RESULTS Canada I have a particular affinity for Isaac Newton’s famous quote, “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” I’ve always been short — except for a brief time in grade four when I hit average height, and then apparently stopped growing altogether. So I’ve spent most of my life getting quite good at strategizing how best to amplify my view. I have, on occasion, been known to climb atop furniture/counters/shoulders when needed. I know how valuable a boost up can be. Whether literal or metaphorical, gaining a little … Read more →
The Global Ministerial Conference aims to accelerate country implementation of the WHO End TB Strategy in order to reach the End TB targets set by the World Health Assembly and the United Nations (UN) Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Ministerial Conference will inform the UN General Assembly High-Level Meeting on TB in 2018.
This blog first appeared on the Huffington Post Canada here .
By Shelley Garnham, TB Officer, RESULTS Canada
It’s not a bird, and it’s not a plane. Despite the similarities, it isn’t another formulaic superhero, headlining a blockbuster movie coming to a theatre near you, and it hasn’t taken in billions of dollars in box office receipts worldwide.
Though it should. It’s a real-life battle between good and evil, not unlike many that we’ve seen before. We love watching heroes take on villains and come out on top — seeing humanity (or our hyper-capable proxies) work together to defeat evil on behalf of our planet. But resemble as it might … Read more →
- We Need To Stand On The Shoulders Of The HIV/AIDS Community December 28, 2017 This blog first appeared on the Huffington Post Canada.By Shelley Garnham, RESULTS CanadaI have a particular affinity for Isaac Newton's famous quote, "If I have seen further than others, it is…
- It's Time For The World's Leaders To Support The Fight Against Tuberculosis March 23, 2018 Decades of neglect have allowed TB to become the world's leading infectious killer.By Ms. Brenda Shanahan, MP, Mr. Dean Allison and Ms. Mobina Jaffer, Senator, on behalf of the Global…
- Implementing the UN Declaration on Tuberculosis: A Guide for Canadian Community Organizations Involved in the Response to TB and HIV August 24, 2019 The Political Declaration on Tuberculosis is a turning point in generating the necessary political awareness and financial commitments to end TB. With TB being the number one killer of people…
- I Want To Believe The End Of AIDS Is Nigh - My Life Depends On It December 6, 2016 This blog first appeared in the Huffington Post Canada here. By Muluba Habanyama Thirty-seven years old. In 2030, I will be 37 years old. In 2030, the AIDS epidemic will…
- It's Valentine's Day: Show Canada's love for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria February 14, 2019 The Right Honourable Prime Minister Justin TrudeauOffice of the Prime Minister80 Wellington StreetOttawa, ON K1A 0A2CC:Honourable Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of International DevelopmentHonourable Minister Chrystia Freeland, Minister of Foreign AffairsHonourable…
- Canadian TB and HIV Communities Come Together: Supporting collaboration across sectors for greater impact April 24, 2020 The Interagency Coalition on AIDS and Development (ICAD) and Results Canada are pleased to jointly launch two new resources focusing on the collaborative TB and HIV response. The resources, ‘Moving…